Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Beauty and Joy

I'm what most people would probably call a "Plain Jane." I don't wear much make-up, dye my hair, or tan, most of my wardrobe is from garage sales or Walmart, and when it comes to decorating the house, well, I really don't decorate. It's not that I dislike these things or can't afford them. It's just that I don't think they are necessary.

Olivia, on the other hand, is the opposite of a Plain Jane. She likes things to be beautiful!
She has been requesting center pieces for the table, usually a vase of flowers. Sometimes I'll remove them to make room for the food, and she'll ask that I put it back. When I ask, "Why do they need to be on the table?"
She'll say, "Because they're beautiful!"

Last week, Olivia asked me, "Mom, why don't you just wear your hair regular?"
I said, "What do you mean?"
She responded, "Well, why is it always a ponytail?"

Then this week she said to me, "Mom a braid with a pretty dress would look good! A bun with a pretty dress would be good, too. Pick one."
I said, "Ummm, I choose a ponytail!"
She responded, "That wasn't a choice."

It's true, making things look beautiful isn't necessary, but it is nice! I must admit that I do stand a little taller when my hair is nicely done, and dinner time is more pleasant when we are looking at a nice bouquet of flowers. And the beautiful smile on my princess brings me more joy than I ever imagined! Miss Olivia, thank you for helping me discover the joy of beauty and the beauty of joy!

No comments: